Saturday 15 October 2011

Theology For All The Senses

James Jordan's teaching has begun to have a significant impact on the way I read the whole Bible. Not that I've stopped thinking for myself, or that I unquestioningly agree with all he says, you understand. Why is that?

R. R. Reno puts it well in his forward to a book celebrating the life ministry of this man still living.
Jim takes texts such as Leviticus seriously on their own terms. He brings to life the intense concreteness of tabernacle and sanctuary, and he allows the prophets a retrospective restoration as well as a prospective anticipation. As Jim has helped me see, the Scriptures are forever reaching back and renewing even as they reach forward to fulfillment in Christ.
The themes that Jordan sees running through the Bible are not abstract and philosophical - cut loose from any kind of day to day reality - as our modern (scientific?) mindset so readily assumes. He deals the message of the Bible in ways you can see, hear, eat, drink, smell and touch.

Hmmm... That's beginning to sound like a theology of Incarnation - the Word becoming flesh - and I'm beginning to see that that's the point.

No comments: