Tuesday 28 December 2010

Soul First, Circumstance Second

Found here
One of the ways I pray for my local church, is to go through the membership directory name by name. I find Paul's prayers really helpful, because they cut to the chase and start deep by praying for the growth of the soul (horse). I then pray for any of their particular circumstances known to me (cart). I think this holds it in proper perspective.

Recently, I've been using Eph. 3:14-19. Here is my own paraphrase of Paul:

Father, I pray that out of your glorious riches you would strengthen [insert name] with power through your Spirit in his inner being, so that Christ may dwell in his heart through faith. And I pray that, being rooted and established in love, he may have power, together with all of us to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge — that he may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

Father,
Renew his mind with truth.
Revive his heart with grace.
Restore to him the joy of his salvation if it is missing or has been lost in any way.
Reveal to him the path of sacrifice you wish him to tread in these days that he may abound in fruitful labour.

Then according to 1 Peter 5:7, I pray for any of their personal circumstances that spring to mind.

Why not try it some time. Yes, it is time consuming, (if you have a long list of people, break it up into chunks over a week/month) but the benefits for them, and for you, I guarantee, will far outweigh whatever you invest.

You can't out-give your heavenly Father! :-D

No comments: