Sunday 12 September 2010

Reading Triathlon 2010: Personal Race Report

The only thing worse than aiming low, is aiming low and missing.

Today, I had three targets:

1. Be under three hours, failing that,
2. Be finished by 12pm or failing that,
3. Finish the race in one piece.

I managed to hit no.3 only, coming in at 12:00:47 GMT with a time of 3:15:47


There were no PBs, no stunning charges up hills on my old shopping bike that left other all-the-gear-and-no-idea riders on their £2000 carbon-fibre mean machines spluttering in a mixture of awe and indignation. (Honesty forces me to point out that the same people always overtake me on the run at the end, so the glory is only ever short-lived, but it feels good.)

Weather was amazing.  Swimming in the lake was bliss, if a little blinding, and there was lots of time to enjoy the cloud formations in the sky. (I've never been a psychotic "win-at-any-cost" athlete although I could do with developing a longer attention sp

It's been 15 months since I last did an olympic distance triathlon and it (depressingly) felt like it, but am glad to have done it.

I was never a serious contendor - I never am and I'm not just saying that cos Craig and Sean whooped me :-) Today was never about position, but enduring and getting across the line. A good life lesson me thinks.

Funny how I still feel the need to justify myself though!

Just wondering if I have bitten off more than I can chew in entering for this on 6 Nov.

...I enjoyed yesterday's wedding more and not just because it was less painful.

No comments: