Friday 29 May 2009

When I don't desire God...

Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. Phil 2:12-13

Ever felt like the obedience that God requires from you is the last thing you want to give him? Ever felt like he is like a harsh dad who has given you a long list of impossible chores that you have neither the knowledge or the energy to accomplish?

I have and I do regularly.

Which was why hearing this verse again as I listened to my audio bible on the commute was so refreshing. The Bible says that it's God's work not only to show the Christian what to do and how to think etc., but also to give that same Christian the desire to do those things.

That doesn't mean we can sit back and go all passive, we must continually do the work of humbling ourselves before him, but it does mean that we need not loose heart when our desires are not immediately as they should be.

Moreover, knowing that the Heavenly Father is perfect and that Jesus has reconciled to his Father all those who submit their hearts to to him, and that together this Father and Son have freely given the Holy Spirit to those who love them, we can be confident that this God - Father, Son and Holy Spirit who wakes the dead, can also awaken new desires in our hearts (that we never thought possible) to love and serve him.

No comments: