Saturday 16 August 2008

Keeping the main thing, the main thing.


Having just completed a tour of Ireland on my bike, covering 850 miles over 8 days, I am very tempted only to think that the most important thing about me is my sporting prowess and allow my head to swell with pride when people tell me how impressed they are with my achievements. It's all too easy to forget that I am an adopted son of the one true God.  Nothing more, nothing less. And it is at times like these when I have to declare Psalm 147:10-11 to myself:

His pleasure is not in the strength of the horse, nor his delight in the legs of a man; the LORD delights in those who fear him, who put their hope in his unfailing love.

It's sometimes hard to shake free of the delusion that life is about the perfect body / job / partner etc.  When I meet Jesus face to face, it will not be the size of my abs, biceps or quads that he will be interested in, but rather the size of my heart and how it has been enlarged not by physical exercise but by the love and power of God.

No comments: