Tuesday 26 August 2008

The best pleasures are personal

Quick confession on on Psalm 16:11.  It says:

You make known to me the path of life;in your presence there is fullness of joy;at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

I always assumed that the pleasures referred to in this verse were things like food and wine and stuff.  This would make my vision of Heaven little different from say, the Muslim one, where men sip wine and are attended to by many beautiful virgins!  I only clicked last week that the pleasures at the right hand of the Father are not things but a person.

What, or rather who, is at the right hand of the Father?


As a bride and groom are captivated with each other on the day of the wedding, so Jesus and his church will be captivated with one another on the day when they meet face to face!  This relational pleasure is what, to my mind, is in view in Psalm 16:11.

No comments: